Friday, July 28, 2006

New Yo La Tengo Album

Okay, so they're not what the used to be, and they don't mean the same thing to me that they used to, but for a good period of the 90's, Yo La Tengo was my favorite indie rock band on the planet. I share Jersey roots with this band and they are die-hard knicks fans, like myself. We just don't give a fuck about the New Jersey Nets, never have. Their new album is entitled "I am not afraid of you and I will beat your ass." To the uninitiated, this is what Kurt Thomas said to Stephon Marbury in the locker room once after another embarrasing Knicks loss a few seasons ago. The knicks traded Thomas at the end of that season (to the Suns in exchange for Quentin Richardson and the draft rights to Nate Robinson), making the title of the album even more interesting. Hopefully the title of the album is indicative of the style of indie rock played on it -that is, a departure from the excessive ballades YLT has resorted to during the past three albums. I have seen this band so many times over the years, they're much much better live when they rock out, I even once heard someone scream out before one of their sets, "No slow shit!" as they were taking stage (The Onion Show at North Six a few years ago). I thought it insulting at the time, yet true. They proceeded to rock hard with lots of covers that put a smile on my face throughout the evening.
They're playing two blocks from me in september right here in good ol' Jersey City. I have no idea what Jersey City will look like by then (gentrification is reaching my stop on the PATH these days) but last year Feist and Bright Eyes played here so it only makes sense that a band as big as YLT plays here this year. And I thought they were Hoboken snobs... How wrong I was.
Asbury Park and Boston both look interesting as well...

>>>
from the Matador Newsletter:

http://www.ticketweb.com: doesn't look so hot, does it? Au contraire, spartan
though Ticketweb's site may be, it is also the sole online outlet for the
biggest metropolitan area show of Yo La Tengo's career, taking place this
September 29 at Jersey City's Loews Theatre in historic Journal Square. Tickets
are on sale now, much as they are for the other confirmed autumn dates below:

9/25 - Asbury Park - Stone Pony
9/26 - DC - 9:30
9/28 - Boston - Avalon
9/29 - Jersey - Loews Theatre
10/4 - Ann Arbor - Michigan Theater
10/5 - Chicago - Vic Theater
10/14 - Vancouver - Richards on Richards
10/15 - Seattle - Showbox
10/16 - Portland - Crystal Ballroom
10/19 - SF - Fillmore
10/20 - SF - Fillmore
10/21 - SF - Fillmore
10/23 - LA - Henry Fonda Theater

No comments: