Monday, March 06, 2006

Weekend recap

So this weekend we went to see the Planet Smashers play in Montclair, it was a great show. I think the top two ska bands (and I've seen my share of Skee-yah) I've ever seen would have to be The Slackers and The Planet Smashers. The Montclair cafe/venue was a little drab, no booze and mostly high school kids, but it was nice to know there actually are venues in NJ to visit. We spoke to the lead singer/guitarist of the Planet Smashers while Robin bought her t-shirt, he seemed nice though I could not hear anything he said. The last time we saw them was at Knitting Factory during last year's blizzard -I remember riding my fixie to the show from World Trade Center. I couldn't see three feet in front of me with the blinding snow coming from all directions. There were a bunch of hoodlems horsing around behind me as I rode my bike slowly in the street (I had to experiment with slicks in winter conditions, admittedly a failed experiment) and I knew they were going to see the same show. Music lovers will endure virtually anything to see their bands perform.
The place was packed and the only bathroom in the entire place (which we were advised to avoid using at all costs) was right next to the front stage and indeed had no doorlock on it. After a few bands it got kind of hot in there, and before long it started smelling like teen spirit. I remember seeing a tattoo: "One Life, One Chance." We bolted right after the Smashers finished their highly entertaining set. The next generation of ska kids and punks started chanting "one more song," then the lead singer got back on stage to remind them they had a show in NYC tomorrow. I thought that was kind of a cold, yet amusing way of saying no. Montreal people are perhaps more direct than their American counterparts.
While we were in Montclair, we had lunch at a vegetarian deli that reminded me of the inside of a Florida gas station and then stumbled upon Montclair Book Center. I had no idea New Jersey had these kinds of resources available! This book store rivals ANY book store I've seen in NY or Florida, they have new and used sections, it was just a great place to spend a few hours while waiting for a show to begin. I don't know if the website does it any justice. It was kind of like discovering that old lady's house in fahrenheit 451 or perhaps like the first time walking into AKA records in Philadelphia (replace cd's with books). It's kind of mind boggling at first, then you're just so glad to be there. For me, the Strand is kind of uncomfortable. This place feels just right and reminds me of how much I enjoyed going to Mandala books in Daytona Beach during my college days. I picked up a used copy of High Fidelity and a new copy of please kill me, which I intend to begin after finishing all my library books.
Also, the Knicks won for once, so it was indeed a good weekend.

...
The internet, it seems, is equal parts dream world, over-sized bumper sticker, digital macro-encyclopedia, big brother government spy tool and global tin cans and twine (though now wireless in Starbucks).

No comments: