Friday, December 08, 2006

Inland Empire -FINALLY!

I saw the film at IFC Center on Wednesday! I was quite excited as I had been waiting for this new Lynch film for years. Actor Justin Theroux was there and did a short Q&A session with the audience during our 6:10pm show. The question I wanted to ask but was too afraid to was "is there anything you can tell us that might help interpret the movie?"
I mostly love David Lynch's work. Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, and Blue Velvet. This one is different in that it doesn't have that trademark Lynch look to it (digital video versus film), but it still feels very much like lynch.
Impressions- I remember many darkened doorways, corridors, lots of shadows, at times I was reminded of 8mm, it seemed at times like I was watching Blair Witch Project. There were several lines which were repeated throughout the movie, that had a lasting effect.
Laura Dern, what a remarkable performance. Schitzo, to say the least. She played at least three roles during this movie.
The rabbit head family, I needed my girlfriends input as to their significance.
In fact, I learned much about the film afterwards, when three of us went for a beer to help digest everything.
Though I had trouble following the narrative I think we pieced it all together and I would like to perhaps give it a second shot and see if it all comes together.
there is a lot of tension throughout the movie, there are many instances where you can not tell if what you're seeing is real to the story or part of the movie or a dream or nightmare, and its just kind of eerie/scary at times although the film has some light hearted moments that come unexpectedly.
I would reccomend Inland Empire to Lynch fans only.
Although he lost me a bit on this one I would watch any and every Lynch film I come across.
things theroux said after the movie:
the actors never really know how things are going to look when the movie is finally assembled. they just show up, lynch goes over a few things, they shoot it lightheartedly.
The experience was more up close and personal because of the DV format Lynch was actually holding/walking the camera for some scenes as opposed to the film process which was more disconnected.
apparently lynch is oblivious to pop culture to the point that theroux has to explain to lynch who people like Jim Carry are.
some asshole in the audience asked theroux to compare his experience with Inland Empire with Miami Vice, to which Theroux replied "i hated miami vice"
Apparently there was enough footage for 3 films, and Theroux said many seens they shot didn't make the movie. The way it transitions into other scenes it could have gone on infinitely, but eventually it had to be taken down into a finite movie form.

No comments: