Saturday, December 16, 2006

PETA are a bunch of assholes

I have been a strict vegetarian for about nine full years, but never during this time did I identify or sympathize with the group PETA.

I have witnessed PETA attacks on New Yorkers who wear fur, and although fur isn't something I'd ever wear, I always thought this extreme kind of violence to be the wrong way to get a point of view across. They seem to me extremists. They are not nice, animal-loving people, but human-hating people. The people that eat meat need awareness and information, not preaching, and in this country you have the right to eat meat if you so choose. Throughout the nine years of vegetarianism, during meals, I've been made fun of and persecuted by people that eat meat but I still don't think this kind of movement is the right approach to a solution.

I have never advocated my own dietary habits, because to me it is a matter of choice, and just because I chose a certain path doesn't mean that I think everyone else should choose that same direction in life.

I know if everyone was vegetarian it would be better for the world in terms of animal cruelty, energy, water supply, health, but should that Utopian society occur where everyone abandons cars and rides fixed gears everywhere -including to the local vegan-only restaurants, it should come by the free will of the people, not by absolutist doctrine enforced by some holier than thou hipsters trying to change the way people live. I predict that in the future this kind of evolved society will come eventually. Its just too bad that PETA is impeding progress by giving vegetarians negative publicity. They think they're raging against the machine but in reality they're polarizing prospective vegetarians.

Scroll down to the bottom of this link to see what PETA recently had to say to the players of the NBA.

go Veggie

No comments: