Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Jumping on the Bandwagon

Okay so I'm in the grocery store the other day flipping through some magazines and come across one of those cycling magazines that usually has nothing to do with the fixed gear / single speed revolution currently going on. It was the December issue of one of these: Cycling, Bicycle, ect...
Next to last page is their featured bike, one they reccomended to a schmo for an "urban" bike under his budget of $1500. It was a Gary Fisher Triton. This bike has road geometry with riser moustache bars, a carbon fork with track cranks and freewheel. It costs well over $1000. It has front and rear brakes.
Now I'm certain that Gary Fisher is a reputable company for moutain bikes, fairly cetain they would make a decent if not pretty nice single speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of the appeal of getting fixed the cost effectiveness? Isn't part of the appeal of getting fixed not riding a Gary Fisher, a bike that usually costs as much as three bianchis, fujis or IROs?
By now everyone knows that Raleigh is making their own version of the fixed gear / ss called the Rush Hour and I've accepted that all the companies are catching on to the fixed craze (how long before GT starts making their famous track bikes again?). I even though the Raliegh looked pretty cool although it comes with front and rear brakes. Maybe its because Raliegh has always made road bikes, or maybe its because the Rush Hour is significantly less than $1000, for some reason it doesn't piss me off as much to know that Raleigh is making a fixed than the Gary Fisher because I know somebody who doesn't know any better will proudly buy the Fisher BECAUSE it costs that much not knowing they can buy a far more credible street bike for significantly less money. I give it a week after these are on the market before someone posts their new $1000+ street bike on fixed gear gallery. I'm fully aware that some of the custom track bikes on the gallery cost more than 4 grand. I'm betting this bike will probably not be well received by the knowing community.

No comments: